Friday, May 23, 2008

Weight Discrimination

This short post is purely about sharing information to make you think. While surfing the Internet I found an article about a Yale research study on Weight discrimination. In essence, the study found that weight discrimination has increased 66 percent in the past decade. These results do not surprise me in a time when you can be proud of being anything but big. Don't get me wrong I believe in being healthy. I am currently doing more and more research to bring well rounded content to this blog including research on weight loss options and healthy living. But size discrimination is just wrong and affects many people daily. The problem is that many people do not consider it a problem. We, the plus size community, have the problem because we do no walk away in shame and hide our fat selves in a dark room.

I could go on but a ranting is not the purpose of this post so I will end it here. Here are a few links with more information on this study and other interesting weight research. Please feel free to share your thoughts on any of there articles.



Weight bias rivals race prejudice

Study: Weight Discrimination Passes Gender, Race

Study: 'Weight-ism' More Widespread Than Racism

People often use food to cope with weight bias

Yale Study Shows Weight Bias Is As Prevalent As Racial Discrimination

No comments: